Saturday, February 20, 2010

Unanticipated Excitement

Everything in Thailand is still great, but there's been some unanticipated excitement. I was involved in a bicycle accident about a week and a half ago. Long story short, everything's fine. I was going relatively fast when a car merged into my lane and inched over towards me. I swerved to avoid it, but swerved too hard, lost my balance and crashed in the middle of the street. What complicated matters was a motorcycle coming in fast from behind that couldn't avoid me. The motorcycle hit my bike (luckily not me) and the two riders (not wearing helmets) flew off it. It looked like one of them was hurt pretty seriously at the time. Quite luckily though, no one had any major injuries. Lots of people stopped to make sure we were ok, and an ambulance arrived pretty quickly. Peace Corps staff was waiting at the hospital when I got there. Afterwards, the three of us involved in the accident met at the police station to relate our stories for the accident report.

The only physical thing that worried me was my wrist, which I thought was broken. After a visit to the hospital in Bangkok, turns out it's just sprained. It was pretty painful for about three days following the accident, but then it got better quickly. Other than that, just have some scrapes and bruises. I was able to start riding again a week after the accident - and will be riding slower needless to say. All in all it could've been a whole lot worse than it was. Actually it worked out well since I was able to see a little of Bangkok during the hospital visit. Thai food is good, but it was excellent to be able to eat McDonalds and Pizza Hut for lunch (yes I ate both... and no Wing Street here unfortunately).

The consequence of the accident is that I gained instant fame in my Tambon. When a farang gets into a bike accident, it takes about three minutes for everyone in the area to know about it. I got a lot of support and well-wishes from the volunteers and staff here. Was really lucky to have avoided anything too serious. Was in relatively good spirits during the aftermath, after finding out the motorcyle riders were ok.

Other than that, the language is starting to pick up. More and more I'm able to communicate with my host family. It's definitely gratifying. We find out our site placements in a little over a week. Excited to know where I'll be spending the next two years.

6 comments:

  1. Joel, Anything to get instant fame! Sorry to hear about your bike accident. Good that you got right back on the bicycle. And McDonald's and Pizza Hut - the menu must be a little different? How about Cicis????!!!!! Your diving partner took a funny fall snowboarding and broke his collar bone. Kevin's in for about 3- 4 month healing process. Have to figure out where and w/ whom he will be diving. Be well. Stay safe on your bicycle. Love, Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  2. sa wat dee kha Joel! sabai dee mai? Kun pood pasa thai dai mai kordee? Kun chob tee nee mai? phom yak ma teaw meang-thai.
    phom-mai-koay-khang-reang!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    leaw-jor-kan-mai,

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday. Love, Vivian, Jeff, Brian and Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joel
    it is amazing how well and quickly you are adjusting..i love that you taught them how to play Crazy Eights - I love that game!! and I am sure you are tasting all the Thai cuisine and turning no food down, as adventurous a palate as you have.
    learning the language is something i do not know if i could accomplish so, touche once again...Have a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY sweet nephew!! hugs and kisses from me and Zach...we miss you xoxoxo
    Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I finally got around to looking at your blog and the first thing I read about is this horrible accident! Its awesome that besides that everything seems to be going well though. I saw your birthday was coming up so here's an early happy birthday! Best of luck with everything man

    -Rob Herman

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Joel! So glad you are ok after your accident. Love your positive attitude! Enjoying your blog and hearing about all your amazing experiences. Have a Happy Birthday!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete